Monday, August 15, 2011

The "NO POO" Challenge

What's the point of this challenge?
The point of this challenge is to eliminate the use of product in ones hair. According to other NO-POOER's and other sources, it is a fantastic way of bringing your hair back to its most natural, chemical free condition and it is apparently very, very beneficial for your hair.
Why am I doing this challenge?
Well to be frank, at first I thought it sounded rather disgusting and kind of ick. But the more I think about it, I find it rather fascinating and, if it actually works, will be very impressed. SO before I turn my nose up at it and 'dis' it, I'm willing to give it a try.


What are the benefits of the NO POO challenge?
    • If successful, you wont need to wash your hair as often as you would when using regular shampoo + conditioners, therefore saving you time
    • You will save a massive amount of money (will post facts and figures at a later stage when I'm at home and have all my info in front of me)
    • It should be better for the environment (this is just an assumption, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
    • Naturally healthy hair
What are the costs involved?
(Will update this section when I'm at home and have all info readily available)


What you will need and where to buy:
  • Bicarb Soda (can be purchased from your local supermarket)
  • Apple Cider Vinegar (can be purchased from your local supermarket or health food store)
  • Shikakai (can be purchased from your local Indian Grocer/Spice Shop)
  • Cinnamon Powder (can be purchased from your local supermark or spice shop)
  • Soapnut Powder (can be purchased online...am waiting on link for best recommended online store)
  • Coconut Oil (extra virgin) (can be purchased at your local health food store)
  • Honey (can be purchased almost everywhere)
  • Boar Bristle Brush (not necessary but highly recommended) (can be purchased at most outlets that sell hair brushes....I think)
  • Tomato Juice (optional) (can be purchased at your local supermarket)
What to do with your NO POO products
(**all recipes and measurements are approximations based on another NO-POOER's experience. Feel free to modify to suit your needs**)
BASIC BICARB AND APPLE CIDER WASH


Mix a few tablespoons of bicarb with about 3/4 - 1 cup of water
Pour it on your head and rub it in to the scalp
Rinse thoroughly
Follow up with apple cider vinegar
Rinse thoroughly


**TIP** The Bicarp/ACV treatment works the same as shampoo/conditioner. The bicarb opens the cells/pores/glands and the ACV closes them and makes your hair nice and soft and it wont make your hair smell vinegary either, just make sure your give it a good rinse!




SHIKAMON & HONEY WASH


Mix a few teaspoons of Shikakai, Soapnut Powder and Cinnamon Powder together with some hot water to make a paste
Once in the shower, rub the paste in your hair and wait a few minutes before thoroughly washing it out
Use the Honey just as you would a conditioner. Again, leaving fore a few minutes before washing out
When you're hair is half dry, rub a small amount of coconut oil in for extra softness


**TIP** The night before doing the Shikaki Cinnamon wash, moisturise some coconut oil into your scalp and sleep on it.
*Don't be scared of the honey conditioner - it's not as stick as you would think because when your hair is warm and wet, the honey will just glide through it.


NO POO Extra Tips and Tricks
  • If you have redish hair, you can add a little paprika to your Shikakai mix to enhance that colour
  • Soapnut powder can be used if you or your kids have lice, or are trying to avoid lice
  • Honey has some mild peroxide properties, so for a naturally lighter look to your hair, combine some honey and straight chamomile tea and apply to your hair, wrap in gladwrap and sit in the sun for a while. It should bring out your natural highlights without causing damage to your hair
  • Coconut oil also works as a fantastic moisteriser to the skin. Can be used on your face and lips to avoid chapping. Used on your scalp, it can also help to pevent dandruff
  • When using Soapnut Powder, the hot water from your shower helps release the saponin in Soapnut to make it feel nice and soapy without any soapy nastiness
  • ALWAYS BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH!! This is one of the most important tips. Brushing from roots to tip helps your natural oils moisturise your hair to enhance its full potential. The use of a Boar Bristle Brush will aide this process
  • A great natural treatment is apparently tomato juice. I have very limited info on this so until I try it myself and update, I guess you're going to have to attempt this with a bit of trial and error. I will be trialling this tomorrow night however, after swimming lessons with my daughter. Will update when I can.
OOOK So I think that is all the information I have at this time to put forward to you. But, I think it is more than enough to help you make an informed decision as to whether or not you wish to participate in this challenge.


I am setting myself up for a 2-3 month trial commitment as they say it can take up to 6-8 weeks for your hair to fully regulate and get back to a nice natural state after years and years of product useage.


I will be updating my progress as I go so if you participate, please update yours as well. It will be great to see the effects with different people with different hair types.


And please, feel free to add your own recipes/remedies for the NO POO challenge.


Good lucky, happy NO POOing

2 comments:

megalasaurus said...

aaaah.. ok we aren't talking about the same thing here! I've heard that you aren't supposed to wash your hair AT ALL, and within abut 6 weeks your hair is at a healthy state and all the gross oils are gone.. but I'm interested to see how you go!! And if it actually is cheaper or not

Ms Boop said...

Thanks. I have heard of doing it that way but when my hair gets wet, if I don't put anything in it, it is just knotty and unmanageable. I'd end up with dreads if I used nothing...Will see how I go doing it this way :)