Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Prick/Patch Test

Patch Test

OK so according to a website I googled, the patch test goes a little something like this…

Skin testing is the oldest and most reliable form of allergy testing. This form of testing has been performed for 100 years and continues to be the testing of choice for the diagnosis of allergic disease. Testing begins with a prick, puncture or scratch method, which involves the placing a drop of the allergen in question (usually a commercially available extract of pollens, molds, foods, pet dander, etc) on the skin and abrading the skin with a needle. This testing is not painful, and generally there is no bleeding involved since the needle only scratches the surface of the skin.
After the skin is scratched, the tests takes about 15 minutes to develop. There may be many skin tests performed, depending on the person’s age, symptoms and other factors. A positive skin test appears as a raised, red itchy bump, similar to a mosquito bite.
Rightio….prick patch test done.

The results are in!

So I pricked my skin with a needle in three different spots on my arm.

I mixed up, in three separate bowls, Shikakai & water, cinnamon & water and Shikakai and cinnamon in water.

After blobbing a bit of each mixture on the punctures in my skin, I could instantly feel that familiar burning/tingling sensation but I couldn’t tell where it was coming from.



I waited a few minutes and could see which ones were causing a reaction.

From the photographs and video, you can see that the only two that caused a reaction was the cinnamon alone and the Shikakamon. The Shikakai had NO ill effects on my skin whatsoever.


Shikakamon - Strongest Reaction

Cinnamon - Strong Reaction

Shikakai - No Reaction!


Also, judging by the reaction that is clearly visible on my skin, it turns out that I probably didn’t need to stab myself at all haha oh well!!



So as the results show, according to my testings, I am allergic to the cinnamon. Which means I am going to try and wash my hair with the Shikakai on its own one night. I hope it doesn’t stink too bad!! The cinnamon was a nice smell.

What puzzles me is that I eat cinnamon all the time and never have an allergic reaction to it….so why now??

(Am currently editing my video footage now and will hopefully upload the finished copy before bed but its late and nay take too long so it may be tomorrow)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, I just made a face mask with cinnamon and it looked a lot like your reaction but covering my entire face.

Be warned, it felt like fire and I had to hop into the shower to get it all off!